SNSD in Review (Part III : The Album)

Sunday, December 18, 2011


Okay, now I'm going to review The Boys album. The tracklist is this :


  1. The Boys
  2. Telepathy
  3. Say Yes
  4. Trick
  5. How Great is Your Love
  6. My J
  7. Oscar
  8. Top Secret
  9. Lazy Girl
  10. Sunflower
  11. Vitamin
  12. Mr. Taxi (Korean Version)
PS : The Boys English Version and The Boys English Version instrumental are not a part of the album and can only be bought on iTunes.


The Boys was reviewed already in the previous section, so I'm gonna start with Telepathy.


Not a fan of Telepathy. The Telepathy is pronounced Telepassi (it's the hangul pronunciation). It's a perfectly ordinary pop song, and the girls didn't sound very good either in here. I'm getting bored at the song already.






I hate the Jessica and Tiffany english adlibs in the beginning of this song, Say Yes. It sounds like a Disney channel movie. It's a very light pop song, with no substance. Come to think of it, it really DID sound like a Disney channel movie. I love Taeyeon and Sunny's voice in here, but that's about it.


I like Trick. It's edgy, like SNSD's song on their Japanese album. It's catchy too. But a bit too much autotune for my liking. It's good though. Not a boring song at all.



How Great is Your Love is a very cute ballad. The girls sound good in it. The lyrics is actually written by Sooyoung, but seeing as I rarely pay attention to the lyrics in a Korean song, so I don't know the story or anything. But I like it. The girls actually performed this a couple of times, but they did not sound as good as the recorded version.


My J is another cute song. I like it better than Telepathy and Say Yes, but I hate the "My J" part on the lyric. I just hate it. The girls sound cute, but not great.


Oscar sounds like a Britney Spears song. It's another edgy song, better than Trick, and it's exciting. With a lot of autotune, the girls still manage to sound good. I like it.


Top Secret is a mix of cute and edgy it seems. I love the chorus part, not so much the others. It's still better than the cutesy songs in the album though.


Lazy Girl's lyrics is written by Taeyeon and this is the rare occurence where I searched the meaning of the lyrics because I have a bad feeling this is gonna be so cheesy. And yes, the song and the lyrics both feel like a Disney channel movie. I don't like the song. SNSD's members is all over the age of 20 for God's sake. Can they stop singing a cutesy song please?


I love this ballad song more than How Great is Your Love. Sunflower is gorgeous and soothing. It's a slow song, but the cute factor is put to a minimal. Both the girl's voices and the song is gorgeous.


Vitamin is the extended version of a CF song, advertising.... what else? Vitamins. It sounds like a CF song too. I don't know why, but I quite like the song. It's a cheerful song, and a cute one.


The last track is the Korean version of Mr.Taxi. The song is catchy in Japanese and still catchy in Korean, but I almost always prefer the original one. Some of the parts sounds forced but it is still a good song.

So the last thing I'm gonna do is review the whole album. This album is a mix of cutesy songs like SNSD of the past and edgy songs from their Japanese album. But strangely, The Boys is the sole song where SNSD sounds so mature. I need more songs like that. The title song REALLY didn't represent the album. I thought that SNSD will be more mature in the future, but based on their album songs, well, it didn't happen. A completely ordinary album. Wonder Girl newest album is so much better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment