SNSD in Review (Part II : MV and Title Song)

Sunday, December 18, 2011
Now I'm going to review the MV and title song The Boys, both in Korean and English with a special bonus in the end.

First up : MV Korean version


The MV begins with a shot of Yoona being gorgeous, then the members slow motion shot with flower petals dropping on them. It's cheesy, but the dresses are gorgeous. And then the MV change place to one of the place SM loves so much : a white square room. And they dance in it. Good job SM, for recycling the place you used so much on your MV. I love the costumes, I love the fierce dance. I specifically love the part when Yuri drop down to the floor. The dances are great. But dear SM, why did you mess with Taeyeon's hair so much? First there's the two-tone hair on SNSD's Japanese promotion, and now three-tone-hair? And the ugly curly hair from the teaser picture? Besides Taeyeon though, everyone looks gorgeous.

Now let's talk about the song. It's different from SNSD's previous catchy songs no doubt. The first time I hear it, I didn't like it. But without me realizing it, I had put The Boys on repeat on my iPod dozens of times. It's different, with some girls rapping, but I like it. I can do without the overabundance of Jessica's part though, but it'll do. I wished all of the songs on their album is as fierce as this. The MV put special sound effects in the song though like 'wuush' or 'swish' like they did on Super Junior's Mr. Simple. SM, why did you do that? Don't you see that it's cheesy? But besides that, I quite like it.





The Boys MV English Version




Because the MV is nearly identical, I'm gonna review the song only. First up, the girl's English pronunciation  is surprisingly really good. Jessica and Tiffany is perfect as expected, but the other member is surprisingly really good. No pronunciation mistake. I'm pleasantly surprised.

The song itself is free from all kinds of Engrish. I'm scared that SM will repeat the same mistake they did to SHINee's Ring Ding Dong and Lucifer with "fantastic elastic" or "loverholic robotronic" but thankfully they didn't. What bugs me though that the lyrics combined is not making any sense. Here is a snippet of the lyrics

I know life is a mystery
I'm gonna make history
I'm taking it from the start
Call all emergency
I'm watching the Phone Ring
I'm feeling this in my heart, my heart


What is that supposed to mean? It's usual SM I guess. But a good one overall.

Bonus : The Boys Japanese Version




This is a 71 seconds preview for The Boys Japanese version, due to be released with SNSD's Japanese repackaged album on December 28th. It sounds a liiiiiitle forced, especially on the "catch your dream" part. More on this repackaged album on the last part of this review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment