My Name is Kim Sam Soon

Sunday, December 11, 2011


Waktu tayang : June 1 - July 21, 2005
Waktu menonton : High School
Hal paling berkesan : Everything. The cute romance. Hyun Bin. Kim Sam Soon. The delicious pastry. Daniel Henney's good look. Everything. Just see it for yourself.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this drama. I watched and rewatched it countless times. It's my absolute love. I fell in love with the romance, the chemistry, the food. I fell in love with Hyun Bin and Kim Sun Ah. If I'm asked to mention three kdrama that I absolutely love, I will mention this drama, Sassy Girl Chun Hyang, and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho as my favorite. In short, this drama to me is amazing. And it seems it's not only me who thinks that way. This drama has earned the title classic, and at the time of the showing, has garnered 50% rating. That means 50% of korean household watch this drama. That is amazing, but very well deserved for this drama.

The drama told the story of Kim Sam Soon (played by Kim Sun Ah, who gained a lot of weight just for this role), a chubby french patisserie who is down on her luck because her long term boyfriend cheated on her on christmas eve. And even more, she just lost her job. What could possibly be any worse? Well, She soon got another job at a french restaurant. But her handsome boss is a jerk and her jerk of an ex boyfriend who's getting married with someone else still disturb her with an offer to cheat. Not to mention she needs money to keep her house because of some problems. When circumstances led her boss, Jin Heon (played by the handsome Hyun Bin) to offer a pretend relationship in exchange for money, how is she to say no?

Marriage contract, pretend relationship, and everything similar to them is an overused premise in kdrama. But Kim Sam Soon made it fresh. Maybe it's the combination of great writing, great directing, great acting, and not to mention the eye candy. Both the people and the food looks great and pleasing to the eye.

I fell in love with the character of Kim Sam Soon, with her struggle to get back up and his strong sense of living. Her chemistry with the boss is sizzling. Jin heon is your typical bad boy at first, but Hyun Bin play the part to perfection and I'm mesmerized by the character.

The other character is also good. Jin Heon's former girlfriend's character, Hee Jin, is not portrayed as evil. She is actually quite good and complex, and I like it. The part of Hee Jin's doctor who had a crush on her is played by Daniel Henney, a Korean-American actor who is so handsome and gorgeous that you cannot help but wonder how can anyone be so good looking. Unfortunately, he can't speak any korean so his dialogue is entirely in english and his acting is not that good either. But he is an excellent eye candy.

I love that in this drama, there's no evil character. Everyone behave like they were for a reason, and the reason is entirely logical. The jerk ex boyfriend is a coward, very much so, and it shows. So we can't be mad that they did what they did. It's all in the characterization and the writing that this drama really shine from all the rest. They gave reason for every action, for every scene. And this drama had a heart.

I love My Name is Kim Sam Soon. It's my absolute favorite drama. It's full of heart, the writing is excellent, and everything about it is great. If I could just recommend one kdrama for you, it's this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment