Breaking Dawn

Sunday, December 18, 2011




Waktu tayang : November 18, 2011
Waktu menonton : A couple of weeks ago
Hal paling berkesan : A hot Jacob Black, an unexpectedly sweet romance.


Well, I've had the pleasure of watching Breaking Dawn last week and surprisingly, it's not as bad as I thought it's gonna be. Mostly because the overhype about the "Awesomeness that is the twilight saga OMG LIKE SO HOT SO AWESOME" from teenagers everywere and the over-negative hype from the rest of the world that I found myself dreading watching this and thought that it was gonna be really bad.

Well, count me surprised. It's actually enjoyable.

First, the first thing that I noticed even early on in the movies are the amount of prettiness in it. The shots are pretty, the locations are pretty, Robert Pattinson is unbelievably pretty, Kristen Stewart (usually I HATE her, but not here) is surprisingly very pretty and enjoyable to watch, and Taylor Lautner is manly with his newly grown 4 o'clock shadow beard (not pretty I guess, but close enough).

So, putting aside all the prettiness, how's the movie? Well, it's actually really enjoyable. How? Let me tell you.

First let's start about the plot. The Breaking Dawn novel has the most ridiculous plot I've ever read in my life, and it's unnecessarily long. So how can they translate THAT to an enjoyable movie? Truthfully, I don't really know the answer to that. It's just is. The plot is as ridiculous as ever. I mean, baby vampire? Come on! But strangely the movie come across as heartwarming in some scenes and romantic in other. I'm not sure a guy would enjoy watching this, but girls probably will. I watched this with a bunch of my girl friends, and we all enjoyed it, laugh and giggle at the honeymoon scenes, and touched by the romantic scenes.

As I mentioned before, there are a lot of pretty shots. I especially love the scene where Jacob is sitting on the beach and there's a wide shot of the sun shining on the ocean. It's so pretty. And the locations are very pretty. The wedding is pretty, and the island where Edward and Bella spend their honeymoon is also very pretty.

The actings are getting better. The chemistry between Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart here is sizzling great, MUCH better than the previous movies. Maybe because now they're dating in real life? I'm usually so irritated by Kristen Stewart's acting, but I find it decent here. And Pattinson also did an OK job, even though for the life of me I can't figure out why Pattinson's acting is awesome in other movies but kinda meh on the Twilight series.

I'll be honest here : the plot is minimal at best. When I first heard that Breaking Dawn is gonna be broken down to two parts, I'm like WHAT! The story in here is basically Bella pregnant with Edward's baby. That's it. So why do I find myself enjoying it?

This is, to me, a movie designed to be watch by girls. We will get satisfaction by watching this, will imagine our lives as a married women, and the director knows that. That's why they put a scene of shirtless Jacob and shirtless Edward. To explain the attraction to a guy is difficult because our mindset is different.

This is a movie where nothing ever really happen. The plot development is minimal, even the romantic ones. But I found myself enjoying it. Probably because girls dreamed of marrying someone like Edward. Probably because it's so pretty, with shirtless guys everywhere. I don't quite know the answer to that.

If you're a girl, there's no harm in watching this. You'll be entertained at least. For guys, skip this movie. Seriously. Except if you want your girlfriend to talk about marriage and how they long for a guy just like Edward or Jacob. This is a friendly warning :)

PS : This is a spoiler, so skip it if you'd like. I'm so disturbed by how AWFUL that CGI of Bella's baby. Even the scene where she's all grown up is done by obvious CGI. This is a high budget movie. You can't make one good CGI baby? And better yet, USE REAL BABY. Why use CGI for a perfectly normal baby?

PPS : After watching this, I get the sudden urge to reread the Twilight saga books. And I remember now why Harry Potter and Twilight is so much different. Harry Potter is a fully visualized world with great detail and there's always something happening. Twilight, meanwhile, is all talk. Seriously, it's all talk of how perfect Edward is and nothing's happening. For a book with 400+ pages in it, there's a serious lack of action and plot in it. I was entertained by the romance the first time reading it, but the reread made me realize that Stephenie Meyer is truthfully not a very good writer. BUT I have to give her props for starting the boom of paranormal (vampires, werewolves, fairies, angels, mermaids, etc) teenage books. Even though a lot of those books are crap and I much prefer Meyer's writing. I guess she's an OK writer but she's NOT good enought to be in the same league as J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien, or C.S. Lewis. Not even close.

0 comments:

Post a Comment